Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sonnet

A glowing red across my face
Sharp numbers on the clock
Tell me time still follows pace,
Though life seems to have stopped.
I fear one day I'll look behind
At twisted descending days
To see the one good thing I find
Has slipped out of my way.
Search for just one reason to run,
To grasp just one sweet breath,
To chase, to maybe catch the sun,
To catch up to my death.
I wish that I could show you, that maybe you could see
The true extent of panic which grows inside of me.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work. It's difficult to try and follow a particular form and still get the message to come across the way you want it to.

    I really like the phrasing in lines 3-4...the realization that time marches on even though life seems to have stopped.

    I also love the imagery of "twisted descending days"....that's really cool wording.

    The cool (and hard) thing about sonnets is that they are so short and so need to be packed with so much emotion and information. Your final couplet really creates a lot of emotional tension.

    Very nice.

    ReplyDelete